A Slaw of a Different Color!
Using shredded broccoli with other veggies makes a delicious, refreshing slaw that is perfect for those who want to add more variety to their salad options.
- 2 cups Broccoli Shredded—you can use already shredded broccoli stalks.
- 2 cups Cabbage Shredded—already prepared. Red or green.
- 1/2 cup Onions Chopped—sweet onions or scallions, your choice.
- 1 cup Celery Chopped, or replace with 1 tsp. of celery seeds.
- 1/4 cup Raisins Or low-sugar, dried cranberries.
- 1/8 cup Slivered almonds Optional
- 2/3 cup Light Mayonnaise I use light Vegan mayonnaise.
- 4 Tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar Regular vinegar is okay if you don't have apple cider vinegar.
- 2 Tbsp. Maple Syrup
- Garlic Salt To taste.
- 1 Tbsp. Spicy Brown Mustard Optional. (We like mustard in our house!)
- Salt & Pepper To taste.
I always have fun with salad recipes of all kinds as there are so many options. Slaws can be made with a wide variety of ingredients as well. If you use a cabbage base, then you will make a traditional coleslaw. By making your slaw base out of shredded broccoli stalks, you add vitamins, minerals and a dark green vegetable full of antioxidants. You'll also up your important fiber intake! I also love to add kale to the slaw for another great dark green modification.
For a quick slaw, use store-prepared shredded veggies to keep it simple ... then build from there! You can get almost all of the veggies pre-shredded, and then make the dressing and add raisins, dried cranberries, or slivered almond for an added crunch.
Nutritional Value: 1 Serving (~1.5c) - 139 Calories; 7g Fat; 0 Cholesterol; 208mg Sodium; 17.5g Carbs- 4g Fiber -10.4g Sugars; 2.6g Protein