Tofu, tempeh and edamame are all products of soybeans. They are a complete protein. These soybean products are also full of fiber, antioxidants, and omega-3 fatty acids.
Soybeans in any form make a great addition to most diets. Here are just a few of their many benefits:
- A three-ounce (85 grams) serving of edamame or tofu provides eight grams of protein, while the same serving size of tempeh has eleven grams of protein.
- They are low in carbohydrates, and also have a low glycemic index (GI).
- Soybeans are a good source of several vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin K1, folate, copper, phosphorus, and thiamine.
- They are low in calories. Three and a half ounces (100 grams) of boiled soybeans only contain 173 calories.
- Soybeans contain a lot of water!
An Abundance of Recipes
There are so many wonderful recipes you can prepare for breakfast, lunch and dinner using tofu, tempeh or edamame.
From tofu scramblers to asparagus and smoked salmon wraps with bacon-flavored tempeh, tofu lettuce wraps to tofu veggie stir fry, Vegan tempeh Reuben sandwiches, and no-tunafish tofu salad … the recipes are endless!
These healthy options are most often mentioned throughout my recipes and under the “Melissa’s Modifications” section at the bottom of recipes. I use them as replacements for fish, chicken or beef.
Today’s recipe is one of my favorite sandwiches, a Vegan Reuben made with tempeh. You can marinate the tempeh or buy it already bacon-flavored. The taste is a spot-on match to the traditional sandwich.
To Healthy Eating!