It’s Fall … Halloween is right around the corner. A festive and fun meal to prepare this time of year, and is relatively easy to make is baking dinner in a Pumpkin! Dinner in a Pumpkin makes a very hearty and flavorful dinner in a self-contained casserole.
The beauty is as the ingredients cook together the pumpkin insides soften it makes a completely savory meal. This recipe has several of Melissa’s Modifications to make it Vegetarian or Vegan and gluten free.’
Halloween Dinner in a Pumpkin
- 1 medium Pumpkin You can use smaller pumpkins so each has their own
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil May use butter or Vegan butter
- 1 small Onion Diced
- 1 cup Fresh Mushrooms sliced
- 1 lbs Lean Ground Beef Use Beefless Grounds or other meat substitutes
- 1/2 cups Fresh Green Beans Cut
- 15 oz vegetable broth May use chicken broth if prefer.
- 2 tbsp Braggs Liquid Aminos May also substitute soy sauce
- 2 cups Rice; White, Brown Cooked, I used Quinoa* see Cooks notes below
- Fresh Basil or Oregano Optional Spices
- Cinnamon or Nutmeg Optional Spices
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Thoroughly wash and dry the outside of the pumpkins
- Cut the top off the pumpkin and clean out the pulp and seeds. Keep the top.
- Don't miss out on roast the seeds - spray a foiled cookie sheet with olive oil and spread seeds. Cook at 350 degrees for 30' or until golden brown.
- In a large skillet saute onions, mushrooms, green beans in oil or butter. Add ground beef (or plant-based crumbles) Drain grease if using ground beef.
- Add seasoning to taste.
- In a large bowl, mix soup, nutritional yeast, and braggs aminos (or soy sauce)
- Add meat and cooked rice or quinoa .
- Empty bowl into the cleaned out pumpkins and replace the top.
- Bake for 1 hour on the lower rack of the oven.
- After 1 hour and 15 minutes , remove the top and check to be sure the sides of the pumpkin for doneness. The outside of pumpkin will turn a beautiful dark orange.
- Depending on the size of the pumpkin it may take an additional 10-15 minutes. I made two smaller individual pumpkins so they didn't need the extra time.
- Using hot pads, place pumpkins onto serving plates, remove the lids and stir. Don't forget to scoop chunks the pumpin sides into the casserole dish as it is served.