One of my recipes that has stood the test of time is my Eggplant Parmesan, a family and friend favorite. Learn the secrets as to why it is loved by all in this post!
Serve with a fresh salad, garlic bread or breadsticks and you have a delicious Italian meal!
Pairs nicely with glass of red wine!
Melissa's Famous Eggplant Parmesan
- 3-4 Medium Eggplants Firm, good color, no bruise spots, sliced leaving skin on as it holds its form and offers additional nutrition
- 1 24 oz. Italian Breadcrumbs Modify with Japanese-style Panko or Gluten Free Breadcrumbs
- 8-10 fresh whole Eggs Can use egg whites to reduce cholesterol. You can also add milk to decrease eggs.
- 1 16 oz. plus Mozzarella Cheese Use part-skim shredded if you want to reduce fat.
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese Use more if you wish.
- 1 28 oz. jar Organic Tomato Sauce If you have the time and want to make your own sauce, great!
- Dried & Crushed Oregano Add in sauce or sprinkle on each layer.
- Dried & Chopped Basil Add in sauce.
- Slice eggplants about 1/2 to 1" in thickness, leaving skin on. Salt the eggplants to remove any bitterness; rinse and dry over paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Prepare baking pans with parchment paper, coat by spraying with olive oil.
- Set up two bowls for the "dipping process." Put whisked eggs in one bowl and breadcrumbs in the other. Dip eggplant in eggs then breadcrumbs, then place on parchment-paper-covered baking pans.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes in preheated oven at 425 degrees. Flip over and bake another 20 minutes until both sides are nicely browned and a bit crispy.
- Once the eggplant is cooked, begin the layering process with the eggplant, sauce and then shredded mozzarella cheese.
- As you can see by my photo, I use less sauce than when you have eggplant parm at a restaurant ... this is my secret to a flavorful eggplant parmesan ... less sauce. This allows you to taste the delicious crispy eggplant along with the cheese and sauce ... not just tasting sauce!
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and bake entire dish in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for about 20 min or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling.