Our recent visit to the Andes Mountains in South America was spectacular! This photo reminds me of the beautiful culture and cuisine of the region. We enjoyed delicious healthy recipes across Ecuador and Peru, plentiful with fruits, vegetables, nuts, and grains. The best grain of all, in my opinion, the superfood – Quinoa! Pronounced “Keen-Wah” the ancient grain is packed with 14g of protein per serving. This superfood is rich in antioxidants including iron, vitamin E, B-vitamins, calcium, magnesium, and fiber. Quinoa is a gluten-free food and is one of the few plant foods that contains all nine essential amino acids.
Quinoa is so versatile, the recipe choices are endless … use in salads, soups, main dishes adding veggies, meat, poultry, fish or plant-based products! I make a big batch on Sunday then use it in a variety of recipes during the week.
One of my favorites … simply quinoa with roasted vegetables. For a few of my delicious quinoa recipes, go to the Power of 5 Test Kitchen .
Disfrute de cocinar y comer!
(Enjoy Cooking & Eating!)
Quinoa with Roasted Vegetables
- 1 cup quinoa White, red, black or multi-mixed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups water 1 c water & 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil Optional
- 1 4-6 oz package sweet peppers
- 1 medium Onion Sliced
- 1 8oz package mushrooms Sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Rinse Quinoa well
- Put in a sauce pan with water/veggie broth & salt
- Bring to a boil then simmer for 15 minutes
- Quinoa will absorb the water/broth and change color to clear when it is done.
- Turn oven temp for roasting to 425 degrees F Prepare Roasting pan with parchment paper, add a thin layer of oil
- Prepare vegetables; wash, slice
- Spread veggies on roasting pan; sprinkled with salt & pepper and other seasonings you wish. I like to add garlic as well.
- Sprinkle lightly with olive oil to coat veggies
- Roast for 25 min or so, turning several times during cooking time to get that beautiful roasted look on the sweet peppers and all vegetables are cooked.
- Once vegetables are done, mushrooms and onions mix lightly into cooked quinoa. Place Sweet peppers around quinoa in the serving plater.